DEFINITION OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
An industrial design means features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornament applied to an article by any industrial process which in the finished article appeal to the eye and are judged by the eyes.
REGISTRABLE INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
- Fulfill the interpretation of Industrial design
- New in Malaysia or elsewhere
- Not contrary to public order or morality
NON-REGISTRABLE INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
- A method or principle of construction
- The designs of articles depend upon the appearance of another article which forms an integral part of the article
- It differs only in immaterial details or features
- The features of the article are dictated solely by function
IMPORTANCE OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN REGISTRATION
Owner of a registered design has the exclusive right to make, import, sell or hire out any article to which the design has been applied.
PERIOD OF REGISTRATION
- A registered industrial design is given an initial protection period of 5 years from the date of filing.
- Extendable for a further four consecutive terms. The maximum protection period is 25 years.
WHO MAY APPLY?